5.15.2012

Polyphobia: The Fear of Many Things

I have a fear of many things.  The book I'm reading now, Need, has inspired me to list my phobias for this next post.  I have to say, I am scared of many things. Here are my top 5 (in no particular order):

1. Arachnophobia: the fear of spiders.  I hate them.  Kill them.  They're ugly.  They're creepy.  They always find me, and I don't want them to.  Leave me alone.
2. Honondasdontiaphobia: the fear of losing teeth.  I have a lot of dreams about my teeth rotting or just falling out for no reason, and it scares me.
3. Opthalomophobia + Social Phobia: the fear of being stared at + the fear of being evaluated negatively in a social setting.  It's not exactly this fear of being stared at, but I get self-conscious when all eyes are on me.  I go red and stumble on my words.
4. Agliophobia: the fear of pain.  Robert can tell you that haha.  This ties in with death.  I'm not afraid of death, but scared that it will hurt.
5. Thantophobia + Eremophobia: the fear of death + being alone.  Which to me equals the fear of someone you love dying.  They didn't have a phobia that described that so I just combined two.

I have other phobias.  These ones are still on the list, but not as much as the top 5.
Achluophobia: the fear of darkness.
Acrophobia: the fear of heights (to a certain degree.  I don't like heights if I can feel motion.  Like rocking ferris wheels.)
Agraphobia: the fear of sexual abuse.  Or being kidnapped (they didn't have that).  I would hate to be kidnapped.  That'd be so scary.
Androphobia: the fear of men.  If they're sketchy looking.
Ankylophobia: the fear of immobility of a joint.  It feels freaky.  I've already felt that.
Atelophobia: the fear of imperfection.
Atychiophobia: the fear of failure.
Bacteriophobia: the fear of bacteria.  Only that they will get into my body somehow and get me sick.  I can work with them in labs though.
Carcinophobia: the fear of cancer.  I do not want cancer.  It kinda goes with my pain phobia.
Catoptrophobia: the fear of mirrors.  I am when I am either a) home alone or b) at night when no one is in the same room with me.
Chaetophobia: the fear of hair.  Yes, I know it's weird.  But I don't like wet hairs sticking to me.  Robert can also tell you that.  And my parents.  It all started when I was a baby, which makes it all the more weird.
Doxophobia: the fear of expressing opinions or receiving praise.
Enisiophobia: the fear of committing an unpardonable sin or being criticized.
Entomophobia: the fear of insects.  Some are just creepy and crawly and ugly.
Ereuthrophobia: the fear of blushing.  Too bad it's uncontrollable and I do it too often.
Glossophobia: the fear of speaking in public or trying to speak.  Mainly because people are all looking at me.
Helminthophobia: the fear of being infested with worms.  Worms are just sick, especially when they are wriggling inside of you.
Mysophobia: the fear of being contaminated with dirt and/or germs.  Mine is the germs.  I don't want to get sick or get some sort of disease!
Ombrophobia: the fear of rain or being rained on.  Mine is the latter--if my hair is down and will get frizzy.
Panthopobia: the fear of suffering or disease.
Parasitophobia: the fear of parasites.
Pnigophobia: the fear of choking or being smothered.  Basically suffocating.
Poinephobia: the fear of punishment.
Scoleciphobia: the fear of worms.  Like I said, they are wriggly and creepy.

Yep. Those are most of my phobias, which is quite a few.

2 comments :

  1. You forgot one... The fear of phobias! Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is a lot. I too have nightmares of my teeth just rotting and falling out. Those dreams usually occur around the time I'm scheduled for a dentist appointment. Awesome...fear of blushing. Bahahahhaa.

    ReplyDelete